Saturday, October 18, 2008

Gay Guys Gunnin' for my Groove

A story about Straight-Chasers

What on earth has this university done to me and my perceptions? I was told this environment would open my mind, ease me into having certain more accepting viewpoints on people unlike me – not that I wasn’t accepting before. I find inserting the male sexual organ into the same orifice that excretes faeces incredibly unnatural, and yet am able to, in a comfortable and judgeless manner, engage with gay men, I’d classify that as pretty damn accepting. Have I made a gay joke in my life? Yes I have. If that makes me a homophobe then please go ahead and imprison me with every other second person. If you have never laughed at a joke about a marginalised group then you’ve never heard one. The fact that the jokes are so un-PC is what adds humour.

For the sake of not having accusations of homophobia thrown at me, let’s establish that I have many gay friends whom I fully embrace for who they are. Part of the reason I’m even able to justify writing this is with their input. Different groups’ campaigns and personal accounts have helped me understand homosexuality better. I have been able to step up from simply accepting homosexuals to accepting homosexuality itself. With that out of the way I’d say that I’m qualified to make the observations that follow.

Here’s my problem. We’re so busy trying to redress the past, and combat ongoing discrimination that we ignore it when it comes from the very groups we are trying to protect. A current issue that most people, including myself, find repulsive is when heterosexual men rape lesbian women because they believe they can fuck the gayness out of them. The word disgusted doesn’t nearly do justice to my feelings on this matter, neither does it successfully sum up how I feel about the way gay men at this university seem to be under the impression they can alter the sexual orientation of straight men if they try hard enough. I have to concede that although definitely less extreme it is in essence a parallel of the unjustifiable ‘corrective rapes’. Perhaps that is a harsh comparison to draw but this message needs to hit home.

I believe sexual assault is the correct term to use when referring to an instance when another person touches or kisses you without your consent. If it is the right term- then I have been sexually assaulted. By a gay man. I believe this entitles me to be angry at that particular demographic, just as it is perfectly acceptable for a woman to be angry at “men, those pigs,” when something like that happens to her. Yet, although not unfazed by it, I haven’t slipped into a world of loathing, contenting myself with muttering about “them faggots” around a braai to the chuckling appreciation of my friends. Although a little begrudgingly, I would rather understand why this has happened to me a couple of times (you thought this was an isolated incident?) despite making it clear I don’t ‘box southpaw’ when I step into the sexual ring. I have a queer friend (he says I can call him that so don’t try pin a homophobic label on me) who’s positive he can ‘turn’ a guy he’s had his eye on. If I mention the possibility of him trying to be straight I get a look as though I’m talking in the devil’s tongue.

My acceptance of what I contend are very unnatural practices used to stem from a philosophy of letting people do what they want. Now it is based on knowledge I acquired this year that it isn’t a choice but rather genetic make-up that dictates who one is attracted to. The people touting this idea of chemical compositions of attraction– the homosexual community. So why do they suddenly forget that myself and other straight men are genetically compelled to like women when they try to bed us? With a reported 25 % of this campus homosexual the pickings surely can’t be that slim.

11 comments:

Alice said...

I get the impression that you seem to think you deserve some kind of prize for refraining from using those "hilariou" un-pc jokes you refer to. To maim a group of people due to the actions of one is disgusting,and weak, and similar to racism. Women who do it to men, must mean that its alright though? Coz if everyone jumped into the fire so would you? I think this is a dangerous perception to have. Believe it or not Gay people, like straight people are allowed to be attracted to people. If you received some uninvited attention form a girl, I doubt that your blog would have had the same tone.The fact that you have gay friends means nothing, really it doesnt. Just as when a white person says "I have a black friend" to try and prove that they are not a racist. This doesnt prove that at all in fact, in my experience it often means just the opposite.

Grant Bisset said...

Thanks for your input Alice. To you I may seem cold and cruel; you've certainly made that clear by labelling my actions 'disgusting'. I'm not going to defend myself, but please allow me to redeem myself, for you if for no one else. I say this because I hope that not too many other people will have a problem with what I've said (although admittedly I was looking to ruffle a few feathers - boas specifically considering the content). It's a little sad that I'm getting crapped on when I was addressing genuine concerns that I have. What part of sexual assault do you not understand?
For clarity’s sake if you’d like to know the kind of things that certain people have still insisted on doing to me and other straight friends despite us making it very clear through our actions or very direct “fuck off’s” then I’d have to relay them via a more private medium because they are a little inappropriate for a public forum such as this. Let’s just say that these incidents haven’t been taps on the shoulder or friendly pats. If you’re going to accuse me of looking for praise for so admirably refraining from distracting my readers from my very serious point with jokes then I think it’s acceptable to accuse you of defending sexual assault. Does that seem fair? At least the jokes are funny, there’s nothing funny about sexual assault. I don’t know how I’m supposed to convince you that I am NOT a homophobe but for anyone else who needs it reaffirmed here it is. Dr. House shmaaks gay people stukkend. For the biblical among you, let my yes be my yes and my no be my no. NO, I am not a homophobe. Believe me yet Alice?
“Ireland, they say, has the honour of being the only country which never persecuted the jews… Because she never let them in” James Joyce. It’s easy for someone to stand idly by and say that they respect a certain type of people. I however have engaged with members of the gay community a helluva lot and I hope you have noticed that I specify that I have transcended merely accepting gay people (funny that someone apparently so insensitive as me doesn’t use the term ‘gays’) to actually accepting homosexuality itself. Sorry Alice but I think that I’ve successfully illustrated that you’re directing your anger at the wrong person. I nonetheless accept that you were concerned that I was yet another mindless gay basher trying to disguise his rant with a few well placed sentences like ‘I accept homosexuality’.

Grant Bisset said...

If you do find someone who is legitimately being unreasonable with their critism of gay people please don't hesitate to inform me as I would love to comment.

Alice said...

Hey Dr. House.
I feel I must apologise to you. While Im no gay activist perhaps I acted a bit irrationally. I think you have the wrong impression of me though. I in no way find sexual assault funny. In fact one of my best friends was sexually assaulted recently, therefore I do have some understanding as to what it must be like. I believe that being sexually assaulted by a homosexual is no differant from being assaulted by a heterosexual, if I did I would be a hypocrite, I believe in absolute equlity (for lack of a better word-but i think you know what I mean. You must forgive me for drawing the conclusions I did. Many heterosexuals feel insecure around homosexuals and often see them and any affection they show as some form of sordid perversion. However, I fell victim to stereotyping. I do not see you as that person. Im sorry.
Apologies, and if you could please check out Out of your Space. An article titled 'Homosexuality at Rhodes'(http://outtaurspace.blogspot.com/). I find the referance to people coming out as losing their morals and "innocent people becoming victims of gays" quite homophobic, therefore making the entire article a contradiction. I do not think the writer is trying to 'gay bash' intentionally which is not really the point though. If you could it would be really interesting to hear your thoughts.

Alice

Wraith said...

I’m impressed; for once someone has had the guts to say what most are too scared of saying, for fear of being labelled a deviant in today’s society. I’m glad “Alice” has changed her stance on the matter, because I was quite close to giving her a piece of my mind for bashing your relevant and insightful argument. I do find it particularly unfair for heterosexuals to be harassed by homosexual individuals when the homosexual community is crying out for heterosexuals to stop trying to make gay people straight or bashing them for their sexual preference, when they, not listening to their own advice, try and make straight people gay, and insult them for being heterosexual. This is hypocrisy, and how will the world get anywhere when the pot continues to call the kettle black. If everyone would treat as they wish they were treated, the world would be a better place.

Dr Kinky said...

you schmaak what? aweh dude, you sound like a pitbull with words. =)

Grant Bisset said...

hey kinkmeister, what should I have said satan's daughter?

Centre Stage said...

Dr House, interesting choice of adjectives I must say, furthermore this is complete contrast to your opinion piece which I not only found disconcerting but rather hilarious as it was a contradictory within itself. Firstly, do you understand the perceptions you maybe feeding by every single choice of word you have chosen in manifesting your views and experiences? Yes, I will not fail to acknowledge that this is an issue at Rhodes University specifically but, I mean if this has repeatedly happened to you then do you honestly believe this is the platform to try and “solve it”? You should pay more attention to perceptions that will be formed after reading your article because all that it currently alludes to is the notion of “gay bashing”.

Grant Bisset said...

Centre Stage,your comment is riddled with misinterpretations and lacks any meaningful reference to my original post. If you had been able to elaborate on WHAT was contradictory within my piece then perhaps I would have been able to respond in kind. But failing this I’m left unable to respond with any kind of specificity. Please don't bother busy people like me with such hollow arguments and refrain from posting inane comments simply for the sake of it.
Felicitations,
Dr. House

Centre Stage said...

how predictable.. nonetheless, it does not matter, i have been answered

Grant Bisset said...

Predict this.
Toss off mate. What did you expect to happen when you argued with me? Were you inebriated, as Sim would say, when you decided to pick a fight with me?