Friday, October 17, 2008

Integration? What integration?



When I first came to Rhodes University, all seemed well and ‘honky dory’. I easily got along with everyone regardless of their creed and background. We all tolerated each others’ space and differences. I thought I had finally reached my ideal destination whereby a person is not judged by his race and class, but by what he does at a given time and place.
Little did I know that my overly idealistic assumption would come crashing as the time went by, when true colours dared to reveal and expose some of the condescending racist bigots that live amongst us. As the time went by, I have been driven to behave in the most ruthless of manors, when a generalised racial comment or two, slips past the mouth of a self righteous nineteen year old fellow student.

I am deeply concerned about the levels of the lack of understanding of African people’s culture and way of life. When certain values and standards are imposed to the wrong people in a wrong way. I am referring to the prevalent of racial undertones directed at those who are not yet ready to accept the “better life”. Questions about other races in public discussion forums that show complete arrogance ignorance on the part of the introducer.
Questions like these (sourced directly from Facebook):

“Hey guys, I need some questions answered please? Can anybody help?- Have you ever heard of a white person raping a six month old baby?- How often do you hear about white hijackers?- Why are ghettos the most violent neighbourhoods anywhere in the world?- Why are 90% of our prisons populated by non-whites?- Can you name 5 famous black inventors (Without google'ing)?- Why do black people breed like rabbits, even if they can't afford the child?- Why is HIV by far more prevalent in black communities?- Why are our pass rates and education standards some of the lowest in the world?- Why don't you see white people striking and burning schools for example - Why do black people litter everywhere they go if they have so much respect for SA?- On which other continent do they hack off the limbs of women and children?And it's such a mystery why white people are so frustrated!”

This is the most suitable reply that immediately comes into mind:

How many times must the African people answer these questions to their European-African peers? How many times must we go out of our way to shatter all the misconceptions that the European-Africans residing in Africa have about us? How many times must we remind them to use logic before they ask lame, demeaning questions about us, the racial group they have lived with for decades, but still know very little about; while We understand and never judge their way of life? It baffles me. Yes we have adopted the European lifestyle; yes we have made an effort to learn their culture and language. We also subscribe to their ideologies and indeed aligned ourselves with some of their old age values, which some of us now also strive to preserve. That does not mean we have abandoned our lifestyles for the "better" European culture. We are merely making means to co-exist within a dominantly capitalistic society. I am angry that at this day, I am still expected to for example, speak “fluent, proper” English when I am at tutorials; but what about my own? When can I perfect it? When can I get a chance to also abruptly correct a none (native language) speaker when they make a mistake?
As far as I am concerned all the things that the Europeans value and imposed upon the world are not so important when you really come to think of it; look at formal education, economics, structural governing systems (democracy) and of course biblical values.

Personally, if I decide to live in an isolated mud rondavel/hut, slaughter and eat beasts, have 74 children, have a chief as my leader, if I believe in ancestors or if I choose acquire my knowledge from grandparents and peers while herding stock in the veld I do not need anyone telling me that my ways are "filthy", "heathen", "need to be changed or to improve, even". I do not need infiltration and suggestions. I would be happy, if they keep their cultures to themselves.
Before people decide to ask questions like that, slander or judge the African population (faults and all), look at how far we have gone and always know that the Africans were very happy with their "old" ways, until Europe came along....

Therefore, as a proud (brown skinned) African, I choose not to directly answer your list of questions as I feel they undermine my race. Your questions are generalised and highly biased; probably no answer will satisfy you as you seem to have concluded about the doom of the African nation.


Sourced from a Facebook discussion.

5 comments:

Grant Bisset said...

Take a good look at yourself. Unless you're happy that you are less racist then the people that you have decided to have a go at then be very careful what you post. The two most racist people I have come across on this campus are black. And as a general rule you are aquainted with the same people as me. Do you not see them as racist because the racism isn't directed at you? Read my post, "We’re so busy trying to redress the past, and combat ongoing discrimination that we ignore it when it comes from the very groups we are trying to protect", and apply this observation to the black community. So my brown friend ( brown is what you've been asking people to call you is it not? See, a peach guy sensitive to your needs)I think it is time for a reality check, I honestly believe you write about race just for the sake of doing so. Don't 'ahh' in agreement when someone proposes a possible opinion piece topic like "African languages aren't accepted when spoken on campus". Has anyone ever told you and your mates to shut up in the dining hall when you're screaming, to them what are incomprenensible words, at eachother across the table. When someone tells you to stop making a racket at night, do they tell you to shut-up or do they say please could you make a noise in English? In your post you declined to directly address any of what you believed were racist sentiments posted by that individual on facebook. Is it honestly because you are so opposed to honouring any of those questions with an answer like you claim or do you actually not have answers for those questions?
Don't come to me and ask 'did you write this post becasue i'm black?'. Of course the answer is no, i wrote it becasue you are a drivel spewing imbecile who i'm in contention with over every single one of your statements.

Prof. Local said...

Of course I know that I am not racist, and I by no means imply that European-Africans are more racist than Africans. What concerns me is the way in which Africans and their culture, are disrespected and undermined by the Europeans living in Africa.

I am glad that in your comment, you did not dispute the FACT I was alluding to. Instead you chose to bicker about something completely different from the discussion at hand, thereby, went off track. The example of Africans making noise in their native language, whether in the dinning hall or in the res passages should not be a matter that concerns anyone. I fail to understand the reason for your discontempt when we do that. Is it the noise? Is it the language issue? Or is it because we disregard the European standards of maintaining "order" and "dignity" at all cost? But dear friend, do you stop for one minute to ask yourself why: No one cares when some European-African fellow comes to the dinning hall with his face painted green,purple and pink? We never complain when we are asked to participate in those "old house traditions" that undermine our African value systems and indeed tramples on our dignity; and lastly, what about the fact that I have to address you in English each time I want to commnicate with you, because you can not understand my language...chances are, you aren't even inclined to learn, which is fine, as long as you don't expect me to ben over backwards trying to reach out to you an your lifestyle, while you care less about understanding mine.

I a sick of European supremcy. I am over trying to go an extra mile in order to please the people who do not care about my culture and lifestyle.

Grant Bisset said...

Well measured response. Your latest comment has tied all your points together, not that your blog post wasn't good- it was, but your irritation perhaps got in the way of a coherent argument. I actually feel ashamed about berating you for something insignificant as noise even though it more an issue of respect than anything else. As someone who does make an effort to engage with you in your mother tongue I can understand how it must pain you when white guys are so insensitive. As was I in my previous comment.

Mooks said...

Mind if i butt into ure little arguement for a second? Im a Whitie - born and bred- but one thing i definately am not is a racist. I have grown up in a farming community where if it was for the black community living around us my house would have burnt down on numerous occasions. I just think that if you turned ure focus away from feeling sorry for ureself and towards making attempts to explain why your culture is like it is, you would begin to realise that us whities arent out to get you. I am taking isiXhosa as are tons of other whites. You can not deny that a change is stirring. I can hold a basic conversation with you in Xhosa and Zulu. And i do understand our cultural differences but i believe that by going on about differences is not going to change anything besides make everybody angry. I am willing to be shot down for this oppinion dont feel bad if you have a need to shout at me :). cheers.

Prof. Local said...

Mooks, if you think I am about to pat your back just because you can hold a basic conversation with me in isiXhosa or isiZulu, or because you are taking isiXhosa as a course; you are mistaken.That is how (I believe) things should've been at the first place. I'll only say that I am glad that there are people like you who dare to defy certain norms and traditions toward a unified South Africa.

Point of correction: I am not feeling sorry for myself, I am too proud of my culture and language and lifestyle for that. Of course, I worry about the slow pace of integration in SA, I also worry about those who choose to be left behind. Because someday, those who always make an effort to reach out to the "pompous snobs" will decide that enough is enough. and totally scrap/disregard anything un-African...what will be of the condescending Europeans?